Thursday, September 19, 2013

My first annoying parent. Great.

Progress reports came out yesterday.  Which means that students who hadn't done their work turned in everything they were missing on Tuesday.  Since I don't have a planning, I have to grade everything after school.  I worked until 7pm and got all the core stuff graded.  I am also teaching a non-core ACT Prep class.  I handed out progress reports first block and before second block, I had an email from a parent.  She informed me that her daughter is showing a failing grade in my class and if I couldn't get the grade right, then I shouldn't post it on the report.  (Now remember, this is a progress report, not a report card).  She also copied the email to the principal and the guidance counselor.  I responded by telling her that the grade was correct and that the zeroes were there because her perfect daughter hadn't turned her work in until yesterday  and since I don't have planning, I graded what I could until I had to leave to set the alarm and the late work wasn't showing up yet.  I corrected the progress report during class. and I also informed her that since I just passed them out and she works at another school, I wasn't sure how she already had her daughter's progress report.  She responded that she wanted a copy of all her daughter's grades in my class.  I informed her that she needed to check online.  Anyway, I ended up getting 8 emails from her.  I think she is mad that her daughter doesn't have an A in that class.  I explained that the class was preparing her for the ACT test and she is tested on reading and answering 10 questions in 8 minutes, so her grade will go up and down.  Not sure if it helped or not.  On the positive side, I now feel very sorry for that kid having to go home to that kind of environment on a daily basis.  (and feel very glad that I don't have to go home to that crap).  I'm a little curious as to whether I have an email from her when I get there this morning.  Part of me wants to tell her that she may expect perfection out of her daughter, but not to expect it from me because she will be sadly disappointed.  Lord only knows what she'll send when report cards go out.

No comments:

Post a Comment