Tuesday, April 3, 2012

4/3 Chemistry Olympiad results

I'm still in a state of shock, so forgive me if I ramble.  A couple of weeks ago, I gave my chemistry and physics students the chemistry Olympiad pre-test.  I honestly didn't think they had a shot of making it past the preliminary stage, but I did want to see just how far behind we were compared with the rest of the nation.  Plus, it gave me a day of not having to do lesson plans.
Well, today the results are in and TWO of my students (Freds 5 and 6) have been invited to compete in the National Chemistry Olympiad!  The funny thing is:  the smartest student in school was the main reason I agreed to give the test.  I figured that he had a shot at making it, or at least of getting a scholarship out of it.  He was not one of the students invited.  I'm still puzzled by that.  But, what's even more amazing is that only ten students in the whole state get to compete in the national level and two of them came from my school!  Here, I thought we were so far behind the rest of the world, but apparently we are doing just fine...or it could be my amazing teaching ability has increased their intellect in science.  Yea, I think I'll give them that "you would be nothing without me!" speech so that if one of them wins, they will feel inclined to thank their favorite teacher.  (NOTE TO SELF: You are the best science teacher ever!)  This might be the only opportunity I have to say that. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment