Monday, September 10, 2012

Geez, sometimes I wonder about these kids

Okay, the kids aren't doing very well on my tests, even though I let them use their notes.  This time, I outsmarted them.  I had each student submit 5 questions - either true/false or multiple choice - and I made the test out of their questions.  As they turned in their questions, I read each question and the correct answer.  On Friday, I gave them their test  and most kids failed it.  So, today, feeling generous, I allowed them "Grace".  I went over every question on their Friday test and the answer, I gave them another cell drawing and we labeled it again.  I left the terms on the board and I had them get out a piece of paper and number to 20.  I then orally read the first 20 questions from their Friday test and "emphasized" the correct answer.  I kid you not, I had three kids fail it!  I'm beginning to think that they are choosing ignorance over intelligence.  I'm baffled.  How do you motivate kids to learn something new if they don't want to learn something new?  Tomorrow I'm giving them a 7th grade worksheet that has them matching the correct cell organelle with its definition.  Then, we are going to add osmosis and diffusion and do an experiment with potatoes and water.  Thank goodness I have an old 7th grade life science book from years ago to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment